The Retrogaming Game Jam is a game jam that will take place in December of this year. The goal of the game jam is to make games with retro aesthetics and gameplay using NFTs (Non-Fungible Tokens).
The “home retro gaming” is a decentralized platform for the creation and distribution of games. The platform allows developers to create games using open source tools, while also giving players access to games they can play without any centralized authority or middleman.
With our new Game Jam, which begins on February 21st, we’re going old school!
It’s time for a wiimatch, so dust up your old console games and fire up your Internet Bowser.
Attention, baby boomers! You’ll need to use The Sandbox’s Game Maker program to build an experience based on the vintage gaming theme of your choosing. Does this seem like a game you’d enjoy? Then continue reading!
The entire prize pool is $50,000 $SAND, which will be distributed in the following methods.
- 20,000 $SAND for first place.
- 15,000 $SAND for 2nd place.
- 8,000 $SAND for third place.
- Each of the fourth through tenth places receives $1,000 $SAND.
Because this is a short Game Jam, you must work quickly!
- On February 22nd, 2022, the Game Jam will commence.
- The deadline for finishing and submitting your contribution is February 28, 2022, at 11:59 p.m. UTC.
- From the 28th of February through the 13th of March, submissions will be accepted.
- The vote will take held from March 14th through March 20th, 2022.
- The results will be released on March 26th, 2022.
Let’s create the next phenomenon that will rock the Metaverse by prioritizing quality above anything else. Don’t be a snob, and remember to follow these guidelines while making games. If you don’t, your entry will be invalidated, and you’ll be out of the game.
- The Game Maker program must be used to create your submission.
- Retro characteristics must be present in your submission.
- You may add materials that you’ve developed yourself in your submission.
- There can’t be more than 50 custom assets in your submission.
- Your submission must be playable (quests, missions you name it).
- Your submission must be original and not a carbon duplicate of any previously published experiences. (Similarities are OK, but exact replicas are not!)
- Spamming the gallery with a slew of low-quality experiences in an attempt to get in the 4th-10th spots may result in the disqualification of all your submissions.
- If you don’t follow the submission instructions exactly (see below), your application may be disqualified.
- The Sandbox’s personnel will be the ones to judge.
As a submission form, we’ll be utilizing Game Maker’s “Gallery” function. You MUST use the title “RETROGAMING GAME JAM — Game Title” when uploading your game to the gallery, as seen in the GIF instruction below.
You must also submit your game using the form below:
WARNING: Your submission will not be eligible if you submit it to the Game Jam gallery but not to the form mentioned above (or vice versa). Slow down and double-check your work! Rather of hurrying and producing a half-finished experience, take your time and produce a high-quality experience.
Who is eligible to participate in the Game Jam?
The Game Jam is open to everyone who is qualified to register an account at The Sandbox.
Is it possible to work in groups or studios?
Yes. You are free to work alone or as part of a team/studio of no more than four people.
Is it possible to utilize custom ASSETs in our Game Jam submissions?
Yes. You may create your own ASSETs to use in your Game Jam submission using the VoxEdit program. If you haven’t already, please complete out this form: https://forms.gle/D5HHnHFRS9p3LNpq7 before submitting your custom ASSETs for approval.
Please keep in mind that the time it takes for your ASSET contributions to be accepted is affected by a variety of circumstances, including the timezones of The Sandbox team members, weekends, public holidays, and workloads. Please keep these considerations in mind and be sure to submit your ASSETs as soon as possible. Then you must be patient.
What’s the best way to obtain Game Maker and/or VoxEdit?
The official connections are as follows:
Where can I get help with the Game Maker and VoxEdit programs?
https://sandboxgame.gitbook.io/the-sandbox/other/tutorials is the tutorials page of The Sandbox’s official knowledge base. If you’re a newbie, it’s a great way to get started!
You may also join our Discord group, where authors often exchange tips and lessons with one another. If you choose, you may also share your submission with the community for comments. https://discord.com/invite/cgCFFjj is the connection to the Discord community.
Criteria for Evaluation
On a scale of 100 points, the entries are split into the following categories:
- Overall Concept — (25 Points)
- Designing a level of a game — (25 Points)
- Imagination — (25 Points)
- Possibility to play — (25 Points)
- Bonus Points: Wow Factor — (Up to an additional 25 points)
Do you think you’ve got what it takes to win this Pac? Submit your submission to learn more!
- retro video games
- best retro game console
- retro game